Paul's Around Australia Trip 2011

Leg 10 Freemantle to Bunbury


Deidre Clarke

Oscar Clarke

Anne Maree Wilson

Steve Clarke

Tony Hermoso

Leg 10 Fremantle to Mandurah. By Ann-Marree.


My open ocean adventure started on Friday night when we (Geoff, Lewis

and myself) drove down to meet Paul at Fremantle Sailing Club for

sunset and dinner on Guinevere.  Joining us were Deidre and her son

Oscar (both sailing) Tony, Jordi and Nina.  Also Jody, Mal, Mia

and Jane and Mike.   All 14 of us squeezing in very nicely and  

making a great start to an  amazing weekend.  Dee, Oscar and myself

slept on aboard overnight so we could get an early start the next day.


Paul up first and the rest of us soon after - too excited to sleep in.  

Time for a quick cup of tea then off by 7am-ish.  The wind wasn't

strong enough to sail initially so we motored for the first couple of

hours. Paul busy showing us the basics and bringing us breakfast -

muesli, yogurt and fruit salad - yum.  Seems there are alot of things

to look out for when leaving Fremantle - shallow water,reefs, sand

banks, buoys and other boats.  Eventually got the sails up and skipped

along at a good speed.  All of us taking turns to navigate, steer, put

sails up and down etc.  Paul again very busy (and very patient)

correcting our mistakes and keeping us safe.  (My first time at the

wheel I nearly took the boat on a 360)


Completely gorgeous feeling steering Guinevere with the sails up and

the wind behind us.


As we got closer to Mandurah we had time for some practice upwind and

down wind sailing and sudden stop - forgotten the correct yachting

term :)


Arrived at the new Mandurah marina at around 2pm happy to have beaten

the gale force winds that we knew where coming.  Also happy to be on

firmer ground.  We'd had a 2 meter swell most of the way and Dee and I

were feeling it.  Oscar was more stoical and quite a bit more useful

especially towards the end.


Had a fun and cozy night on board.  Steak and vege's for dinner

followed by a game of Yahtzee.


Sunday was planned as a marina day due to the bad weather.  It wasn't

a hardship. Dee and I had lovely hot showers in the marina bathroom

and then we all had a big brekkie and coffee and a long

read of the weekend papers at one of the cafes.   Geoff, Tony and  

the children drove down at midday to check our progress and help us

kill some time.  We spent the rainy afternoon cozied up in the cabin

looking at Westcott family and house photo's.  All very pleasant and



Now at this point I am sorry to say Deidre and I got the jitters and

pulled out of the Monday Mandurah to Bunbury leg.  "Sea Breeze" was

forecasting 4 to 5 meter swells!! Oscar was still keen but had to be

back at school for a physics test.  Luckily Paul had Stephen Clarke

lined up for Oscar's spot and we talked Tony into replacing us at the

last minute.  I was so grateful to Steve and Tony for taking over

ESPECIALLY when I heard about the great walls of water splashing over

the bow - and how everyone was sick including Paul.


All that aside it was a wonderfully memorable experience. Paul thank

you so much I loved my sailing weekend and having the opportunity to

spend some time with you.  I look forward to tracking your progress as

you sail around the capes and into southern ocean and on towards home.



"Ode to Captain Paulie"

   by Ruddy Turnstone

(with apologies as necessary... and with particular reference to some west

coast rellies...)


Captain Paul was a man

With a dream and a plan

To sail round the wide land of Oz.

His family was curious

For when they asked "Why do this?"

His reply was a simple  "Just because".


He'd packed his new bags

With good gear, not rags;

A man of some pride is our Paul.

The boat was well stocked

With charts, books and clean socks

And provisions for crews one and all.


Now his mates were unruly

As he kissed dear wife Julie

And his daughters Lani and Mia.

They said their goodbyes

With tears in their eyes -

He'd be away for almost a year!


So with a wave and a cheer

Paulie left Pittwater pier

With all eyes on his gleaming white boat.

And he waved back one time more

To the throng on the shore

With a smile and a lump in his throat.


The trip up the coast

Was like whipped cream on toast

As they sailed to the top of Cape York.

In the warm Queensland sun

You could hear the bees hum

While the motor did most of the work.


To Darwin they soared

Where Ray Clarke climbed aboard,

The first of that scraggly band.

"Fish fear me" he said

As he chewed on some bread

With three rods and six lures in his hand.


But as they sailed through the swell

Ray wasn't so well,

His complexion the hue of sunscreen.

Then with a cough and a roar

He could take it no more

And spewed till his face went quite green.


At Broome before dark

They met Christine Clarke,

A collector of note is she.

With ribbons and bells

And her pockets full of shells

She said "Oh, why must I sit down to pee!"


With the sky a bright blue

Down the west coast they flew,

Paul's boat was powering along.

In the waves under the sky

Many beasts he did spy

Like crocs, whales and the occasional dugong.


At Exmouth the wind turned,

Paul's skin no more burned;

Rough weather was soon to ensue.

But Pete Doyle was elated

For a new crew awaited

Of more Clarkes - not one, but two.


Jim and John were their names,

From farm and forest they came

With credentials a little unclear.

But they soon settled in

With a slap and a grin

And quickly got into the beer.


Their first night at sea

Was filled with much glee

With just a wisp of black cloud approaching.

They donned their life jackets

And pulled on yacht ratchets;

Pete and Paul were doing the coaching.


It wasn't too long

As they sailed south and strong

That the wind from the west grew wilder.

And soon after dark

The boss did remark:

"Get ready lads, we're in for a blinder."


Now Pete Doyle has the oil

On sailing with toil,

A warrior of the sea is he.

With nonchalant ease

He merely scanned the high seas

And enquired: "Who'd like coffee or tea?"


As the yacht crashed its way

Through the foam and the spray

Pete and Jim took control of the craft,

While the Captain and John

Donned their long underjohns

And slept in their bunks, fore and aft.


Soon midnight grew near;

The crew felt no fear

Despite the fierce squalls and the thunder.

Pete and Jim were quite steady

When the Captain said "Get ready,

I see John is about to go chunder!"


Despite the ordeal

And a feed of wheatmeal

Mixed with cheese and mixed fruit on brown bread,

They reached their destination

With the aid of constellation:

The islands of the ghosts of the dead.


For five days, maybe more,

The crew went ashore

To escape the strong winds and bad farts.

They ate all the food

And sang songs loud and lewd

As the Captain consulted his charts.


At last the wind eased,

The Captain was pleased,

"We'll sail before dawn tomorrow,

But give me a wish,

I need to eat fish

Or else a new crew I will borrow!"


But no need to fear,

Jim and John were quite near

To the reef where the bluebone did swim.

In an hour and a half with a wink and a laugh

They were dining on fish with fine gin.


Tonight they sail south

With cooked food in their mouth

And fair wind on their four o'clock shoulder.

It's not long till sun-up

And with an ounce of good luck

They'll see mainland before they're much older.


So, notwithstanding the weather,

This mighty endeavour

To sail round the land of Australia

By this brave engineer

On his boat "Guinevere"

Will never be threatened by failure.